Monday, May 25, 2015

Recent Glassdoor Review of Kaplan International

excerpted from

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Apr 24, 2015

“Teacher ”

Former Employee

I worked at Kaplan International Colleges part-time (More than 3 years)

Cons
-Money money money. Gave my all for several years, could barely support myself - can't imagine if I had a family to take care of. Often worked full-time like hours for part-time like pay. To make ends meet I was putting 40 *teaching* hours a week - not to mention prep/commute time. I got consistently great feedback from students and administration, but very little to show for it, compensation-wise. As a result I left, got a Master's degree and pursued another career.

-To add to that - benefits were pretty much zero, zilch, nada. NO vacation, ZERO sick days, are you kidding me? In a school, with long days, with sick students and lots of bugs being passed around? When I did call out, got attitude from staff.
-Lack of transparency - everyone I saw at my school was working really hard for very little money, but no idea what was going on "upstairs."
-Very little interest in actual learning results or education, run more like a business devoted to customer service.
-Extremely exhausting, long days (again, for part-time $)
-No training.

Advice to Management
Treat the teachers like full-time employees. It will make the difference. Instead of having high turnover and constantly new teachers with little or no background, more experienced teachers (like myself) will stay.

The teachers are doing the vast majority of the work - these are the only Kaplan employees the students see day in day out. Yet, what are they given in return?

No comments:

Post a Comment